This training is designed to enable participants consider the effective use of GIS technology in planning and implementation of current agricultural researches as well as the dissemination of results.
The overall objective is to enable participants understand the basic concepts of GIS and to discover how it can be applied to the context of their own research agenda in a descriptive, analytical and predictive manner. The opportunities and limitations of GIS as a tool for analysis and decision making will be discussed on the basis of ongoing research activities in the region. Emphasis will be on the basic concepts of GIS, map Symbology and cartographic designs, application of GIS to natural resources management and GIS modelling tools in agricultural research.
Date: 10-14 September 2018
Venue: International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) Ibadan, Nigeria
Training language: English
- Basic concepts
- Processes of map Symbology and cartographic design
- GIS data needs for natural resources applications
- Application of Geoprocessing and GIS modelling tools in agricultural research
- Map design with GIS
- Global Positioning Systems (GPS)
At the end of the training, participants will be able to:
- Efficiently discuss the concept of GIS and its relevance to their own research agenda;
- Demonstrate competence in the use of GIS software: data entry, database query, identification and delineation of themes, map creation and presentation
- Effectively combine spatial information from multidisciplinary sources to identify and explain relationships
- Objectively evaluate the strength and weaknesses of GIS for data handling, analysis and presentation
- Comfortably incorporate GIS techniques into their current research activities
Participants must be computer literate and able to manipulate data with Microsoft Excel – research scientists, people involved in statistical data collection and analysis, science lecturers/teachers etc.
- Participants are expected to come along with computer laptops (1GB RAM and 10 GB free hard disk space or greater).
- Microsoft office, ArcGIS 10.4 (Trial version) and/or Quantum GIS shall be installed during the course.
All participants shall be responsible for their accommodation. IITA may make arrangement for interested participants on request. Accommodation request should be made at least three weeks before the commencement of the workshop.
USD350 Fee covers Tuition, Training Materials, Certificate of participation and Refreshments.
Registration is subject to confirmation of received payment. Please send payment confirmation details and completed registration form to: IITA-TrainingUnit@cgiar.org
For further information contact IITA Training unit.