A 3-day workshop that includes theoretical and hands-on training in basic bioinformatics techniques. Participants will also be introduced to online repositories and how to work with them.
The aim of this training is to equip participants with the basic knowledge and skills of bioinformatics.
Date: 19-21 September 2018
Venue: Bioscience Center – West Africa Hub, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Oyo Road, Ibadan, Nigeria
Training language: English
Registration deadline: 05 September 2018
- Introduction to computational biology
- Primer design and evaluation
- Basic Local Alignment Search Tool (BLAST)
- Biological databases: search and data retrieval
At the end of the training, participants will have:
- experience in the use of online tools like BLAST for sequence search
- knowledge and some experience in primer design and evaluation
- Knowledge and experience in the use of online repositories such as EMBL, GeneBank, UNIPROT etc.
Research scientists, supervisory personnel, science lecturers/teachers, graduate students, technicians and those who require knowledge of bioinformatics.
- Dr. Michael Abberton – Head, IITA Genetic Resources Center and Bioscience Center
- Dr. Andreas Gisel – Bioinformatician
All participants shall be responsible for their accommodation. IITA may make arrangement for interested participants on request. Accommodation request should be made at least one month before the commencement of the workshop.
Accommodation with breakfast on campus during the training period will cost about $270.
One hundred and twenty US dollars ($120) only or Equivalent in Naira, CFA or Euro. Fee covers refreshment, tuition, course materials and certificate of attendance to be issued at the end of the training workshop
The registration deadline is September 05, 2018. Registration is subject to confirmation of received payment. Please send payment confirmation details and completed registration form to: IITA-TrainingUnit@cgiar.org
For further information contact IITA Training unit.