This is a 5-day training workshop that will enable participants acquire the basic molecular techniques required for success in scientific research. Participants will experience hands-on training on, genomic DNA extraction, electrophoresis, Polymerase Chain Reaction amplification, and RT-PCR and cDNA synthesis.
The aim of this training is to equip participants with the basic knowledge and skills required to function in a molecular biology laboratory.
Date: 24 – 28 September 2018
Venue: Bioscience Center – West Africa Hub, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Oyo Road, Ibadan, Nigeria
Training language: English
Registration deadline: 10 Septmeber 2018
- Laboratory safety procedures
- The use and proper handling of Lab equipment
- High throughput genomic DNA Extraction
- Nucleic Acid quantification and qualification using NanoDrop Spectrophotometer and Electrophoresis gel analysis
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) amplification
- DNA Sequencing
- RT-PCR and cDNA synthesis
At the end of the training, participants will:
- understand the rudiments of molecular biology and genetic research
- be able to use some basic equipment in a molecular biology laboratory
- be able to extract genomic DNA from plant tissues using high throughput techniques
- be able to quantify DNA and check the purity using NanoDrop spectrometry and electrophoresis
- understand the basic principle PCR using molecular markers such as SSR
- understand basic Sanger sequencing procedures to be conversant with Reverse transcription PCR and cDNA synthesis
Research scientists, laboratory supervisors, science lecturers/teachers, technicians, graduate students and those who require knowledge of molecular biology techniques.
- Dr. Michael Abberton – Head, IITA Genetic Resources Center and Bioscience Center
- Dr Melaku Gedil – Molecular Geneticist
- Dr. Ranjana Bhattacharjee – Molecular Geneticist
- Dr. Ana Oliveira – Molecular Breeder
- Victoria Iwu – Senior Research Supervisor
- Adetutu Udofia – Senior Research Supervisor and other highly experienced scientists
All participants shall be responsible for their accommodation. IITA may make arrangement for interested participants on request. Accommodation request should be made at least one month before the commencement of the workshop.
Accommodation with breakfast on campus during the training period will cost about $400.
Please send payment confirmation details to IITA-TrainingUnit@cgiar.org
Two hundred and seventy-five US dollars ($275) only or Equivalent in Naira, CFA or Euro. Fee covers Tuition, Training Materials and Refreshments.
The registration deadline is September 10, 2018. Registration is subject to confirmation of received payment. Please send payment confirmation details and completed registration form to: IITA-TrainingUnit@cgiar.org
For further information contact IITA Training unit.