Head of Germplasm Health Unit / Virologist
Tel: +234 0700800IITA, +1 201 6336094 , Ext. 2345
Station: Nigeria (Ibadan)
He has been leading several R4D projects executed in collaboration with universities, NARS, and ARIs. Some of these key areas of research include:
- Characterization of viruses and mechanisms of virus–host-vector interactions
- Characterization of diversity and distribution of whitefly-transmitted cassava viruses (cassava mosaic and cassava browns streak)
- Understanding the mechanisms of Maize streak virus (MSV) resistance in maize and developing MSV-resistant germplasm.
- Inheritance of multiple virus resistance in cowpea and development of multiple virus- resistant cowpea varieties
- Characterization and development of robust diagnostics for viruses infecting yam in West Africa
- Developing convenient diagnostic tools for pathogens of food crops in West Africa
- Ensuring health of germplasm held in the IITA gene bank; and facilitating safe exchange of germplasm.