IRS: 9, NRS: 23
- Biocontrol of aflatoxin and mycotoxin in maize and groundnut (Aflasafe Tm) in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Mozambique
- Malawi improved seed systems and technologies(MISST)
- Feed- the- future-Mozambique sementes mellioradas para uma Agricultural Renovada(SMEAR)/Feed- the- future Mozambique improved seeds for better Agriculture.
- Zambia Youth Agripreneurs (ZYA) program.
- Breeding improved cassava (disease resistant drought tolerance, better yield, high starch and dry matter and pro vitamin A (falsification)
- Breeding multiple stress -tolerant soybean
- Integrated crop management in maize based systems
- Mapping the spread and developing management options against banana Fusarium wilt in Mozambique
- Diversifying household and industrial uses of maize and cassava in Zambia
- Mitigating the effects of aflatoxin exposure on nutritional status of children aged 9-24 months in Zambia through nutritious home- made complementary foods
IITA has been conducting research activities with local partners in Zambia since the early 1980’s. But the IITA Zambia research station was established in 2009 when the IITA Board of Trustees decided to make the place the Southern Africa Hub. The station overseas operations of IITA research stations in three countries; Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique. It is situated on a 50-hectare campus with modern scientific, training, and administration facilities, including a 30hectare irrigated research farm.
Our vision and mission for the region by 2020, is to raise at least one million poor people out of poverty and put back into productive use at least 500,000 hectares of degraded land. We will help farmers diversify their cereal-dominated monocropping farming systems to include a wider range of more climate-resilient and drought-tolerant crops such as cassava and legumes. We will also promote the use of cowpea and soybean that fix biological nitrogen to contribute to sustainable intensification and help resolve the challenges of malnutrition.
Currency: Zambian Kwacha
Area (total): 752,614 km2
Population: 17.89 million (2016 est.)
Director Southern Africa Hub
(+258) 21 462454
Head Finance and Administration, Southern Africa Hub
IITA-Zambia, Southern Africa Research and Administration Hub (SARAH) Campus, Plot 1458B, Ngwerere Road (off Great North Road), Chongwe District 10100, Lusaka Province, Zambia